Tuesday, August 25, 2015

An event that changed my life




















2015.8.25: An event that changed my life

7:53pm – 8:15ish

Today, as I was walking around the block and during push-ups and sit-ups, I actually didn’t want to do exercise today but, deep inside my mind, I know that if I fail to exercise today, I would break a habit-in-making, so I forced myself to, but on my own terms.  I walked, more like a prayer walk while, after a lap, I do ten push-ups and sit-ups.  I keep doing it for thirty minutes.  But, as I was walking, I thought about how one event, one day, changed my life.  The story of how I came to Ignite.

I was sitting in a computer lab at the UTEP library.  And, if I shared this before on a previous blog, then forgive me but I want to bring this up again to the forefront.  I forgot what I was doing, probably printing something or doing one of my assignments.  But, I looked at a computer screen next to me and I noticed a girl, D, listening to Christian music.  Later, she watched a sermon by, now I know, Apostle Maldonado.  I told D, “Excuse me.  I noticed you were listening to Christian music.  I like to listen to Christian music, too.”  And from that, she immediately invited me to come to Ignite Movement Church.  She took out a piece of line paper and wrote her information and the church information and gave it to me.  I kept her note, but I didn’t go.  But, it seems God wants me to go.  Two months later, after my last social work final during the Fall finals week in December, my classmates invited all of us to hang out and celebrate at Cabo Joe's.  However, Y, told me today, which was Wednesday, there is a Bible study at Ignite and she is planning to go there.  My mind clicked.  She also goes to Ignite!  (She doesn’t go there anymore but may God bless her for encouraging me to go.)  I decided to go to the Wednesday service with her instead of hanging out with the rest of my classmates at the bar.  The funny thing is that bar is also a place where Y likes.  I went there that night and it changed my life.


Some interesting facts is that I was the one who initiated the process.  If I didn’t tell D, who happened to sit next to me that I also like Christian music, my life would have been so much more different.  The same goes with if I decided to hang out with my friends at the bar.  That was a close decision.  A big part of me wanted to celebrate with the rest of my friends but I was inspired that Y actually wants to go to “Bible study” instead of celebrating.  I went with the minority and it changed my life.  And, if I never knew Ignite, who knows what would happen to my life now.  I probably would be driving trucks.  :p  Or moved out of El Paso.  Life can be a choose-your-own-adventure game.  Thank you God.


No comments:

Post a Comment