Wednesday, October 23, 2013

10/23/2013 [Discovery]

10/23/2013:

S: 11:46pm
E: 12:29am

I thought about skipping today’s entry but decided against it.  The worse, for now, in this blog is every-other-day.  It is almost midnight and I need to sleep so I will make this short.

I sin, I sin every day, but I’m not going to write about that.  I think everyone sins at least once a day, unless the person makes a super-conscious effort not to. 

Yesterday, I went to the UTEP Centennial speech by famed Ricardo C. Ainslie about “Lessons from Juárez and the Future of Mexico’s Drug War.”  He first describes the history of the war, mistakes made, and some possible solutions.  I attended this seminar as an extra credit assignment.  I am also required to write a paper.  Since I’m too lazy to rewrite what happened, I’m going to copy-and-paste the 1-page summary that I wrote:

Distinguished speaker and psychologist Ricardo C. Ainslie spoke at UTEP about the history of Mexico’s Drug War, using the city of Juárez as an example, his analysis of the government’s response, and possible solutions to ending the violence. 

This paragraph will cover a brief history of Mexico’s Drug War.  In December 2006, parts of Mexico were under control of the cartels.  The Mexican state decided to fight back.  However, there are problems with this strategy.  The Mexican Federal Police (PJF) numbered only 7k-8k at the start of Calderón´s administration.  The municipal and state police forces were thoroughly corrupted.  The Mexican Army (240,000) was not trained for police work.  And, the judicial system is dysfunctional.  From year 2007 to 2012, 11,182 people have been killed in Juárez.  The average victim male and 15-25 years of age.  Many people and their families died because they can’t come up with extortion money.  The federal government’s response to send the Army further compounded the situation with accidental killings and roadblocks which made life hard for the average citizen. 
Ainslie suggests that there should be more programs like “Todos Somos Juarez” that offers a comprehensive plan of increasing police budget, offering quality education, universal health care, drug addiction programs, and public spaces that has been demonstrated to reduce the violence in Juarez.  He also stresses that the primary objective of the War on Drugs should not be to stop drug trafficking but to have the Mexican citizens live in peace. 
-

It’s very sad that these things happen.  Drugs are not the main problem.  It is just a symptom of a greater problem.  The main problem, I feel, and there are many fronts to this issue, is the lack of love in this world.  If people were to love God and to love their fellow man more, the drug problem, like my gaming problem, will be lessened.  People would think twice about committing such horrific acts because they would still have a conscience. 

As a future social worker, I can see multiple issues in this war.  Poverty and lack of economic opportunities is a big issue.  When times are hard, some people turn to crime and illegal ways to survive.  They seek membership into the cartels to make a living.  Government corruption is another factor.  If more people in the government were to put serving and protecting the people above themselves, the tide would turn more against the cartels.  I’m not saying everyone in the Mexican government is corrupt; there are many good people in the government who is trying earnestly to help.  Every country has people who are corrupt and, by corrupt, I mean people who place themselves above the good of society.  I remember one of my soldiers had corrupt drill sergeants when he was in basic training.  The drill sergeants would actually sell passes to soldiers so they can take cigarette breaks, get more sleep, eat donuts, and even sex (he said the DS were selling the lunch ladies).  I have to be honest.  Basic training was really hard and if my drill sergeants were to sell sleep time, I could sleep forever. 



I could write more but I too need sleep, so I’m going to sleep.  When I’m trying to sleep, I also enjoy imagining things.  A common theme I would imagine would be fighting.  I would recreate myself as a fighter (if I’m lucky paladin) in a fantasy land.  I would try to fight against evil but because of my sins, I would make mistakes and sometimes I would have to beg for mercy.  I would sometimes imagine myself as a ranger, using both the bow (and crossbow) and sword.  In that character, I prefer ranged combat and to hit-and-run because I’m disadvantaged at melee.  In spiritual terms, ranged combat is like prayer while melee is like talking or dealing with people.  My strategy, since I dress lightly, is to outrun my opponents and then shoot arrows again.  Other times, I try to imagine that I am in the Temple of God praying but it’s hard to imagine that. 


Ok, I think you get the idea.  I also dream a lot which is good.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment